Pete is back!
The tumbleweeds have been swept, the cobwebs blown and the windows thrown open cos Pete is back with a new album.

If you want to pop by for a chinwag about Pete and his music, join us here on the sofa for a blether....

Pete at Twin Towns 28th April

Discuss Pete's tours and gigs
murfinator
Sweet Devotion

Pete at Twin Towns 28th April

#1 Post by murfinator » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:24 am

Well it was amazing of course! haha! It was an assigned seating gig which was unusual. I got 2nd row, right in the centre! The person who was supposed to be in front of me didn't show so I had the PERFECT view of Pete all night!

So first off Nathan Kaye was amazing!! He's really bluesy and cool! Loved his slide guitar and didgeridoo! I'll try to upload some videos to YouTube later. He did a bit of beatboxing too! Very cool! He got the audience to request songs for him to do but it didn't work out so well cause he didn't know many of the songs they were requesting haha! But he still tried!

and then Pete! I can't remember very well the order of the songs but this is pretty much the setlist

Saving Grace
Better Days
Opportunity
Feeler
Lines
Bail Me Out
Silver Cloud
So Beautiful
Hurricane Coming
Let You Go
Blue Sky Blue
Free
Always A Winner
Cover - You Weren't In Love With Me
Led
Tonic
My Time

I'm pretty sure that was all of them! He interacted with the crowd a bit - asked if they had any questions.A girl yelled out "Will you marry me?" haha Pete said "Sure, why not" and then a guy yelled out "I love you Pete" and Pete joked about how that was a first cause it's usually a girl who yells that out first. Someone asked about the new album and he said he was working on it. Not much other productive questions tho haha. When Pete was talking lots of people were yelling out random stupid stuff which was a bit annoying. But it was lots of fun - everyone was singing along and having a good time. Then Pete talked about Byron Sessions CD and all the people who had a part in it. He said there'd be a few guests showing up tonight. Then said "So here's Bernard Fanning...." and everyone went wild haha! Bernard wasn't actually there tho and my friend loves him and was so excited when she thought he was there. But we got the guitarist from Thirsty Merc - Matt Smith. He was cool! And then a young girl beatboxer. Then Nathan Kaye came out again and they all played together which was amazing! Afterwards Nathan Kaye was signing cds at the merch desk - I didn't have cash on me to buy a cd so I got a photo with him. I was hoping Pete would come out and sign but he didn't. But woooo it was such an awesome night!!

murfinator
Sweet Devotion

Re: Pete at Twin Towns 28th April

#2 Post by murfinator » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 am

murfinator
Sweet Devotion

#3 Post by murfinator » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:36 am

And I just realised it's been a really long time since i've used that photobucket account! There's photos on there from the first time I saw Pete back in 2005. Plus other stuff that I must have put on there for the other forum! ah good times! and I think someone must have started a thread over there about pictures of their Pete collections cause I've got a picture of everything all laid out on the floor haha!

murfinator
Sweet Devotion

#4 Post by murfinator » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:12 am

Here are some of my videos. I didn't get very many and not complete songs. oh and ignore my embarrassing "wooos" during the Nathan Kaye videos haha!

http://youtu.be/T0i2_cGzc_k

http://youtu.be/xVvcQ_DnZw4

http://youtu.be/wr_0gf9SuPQ

http://youtu.be/s8vqnAgZcDs

http://youtu.be/ww3wBSTXHjY

Amba
Sweet Devotion

#5 Post by Amba » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:52 am

Wow Murf....sounds like you had an AWESOME night!!! Thanks soo much for all the great photos and video footage. Lucky the seat infront was empty....gave you (and us) such a good view of Pete!! ;) :lol: :lol:
Pete did the same at my gig, announced Bernard Fanning, crowd went wild, then little Chook came on stage waving! :lol: :lol:
It's really good to see Nathan fit and well again!!
What did Pete say about the new album when questioned? I'm getting a dose of Pete withdrawals atm as I suppose that after his Coff's gig, he will probably take a break for a while to do some writing and recording so we may not be seeing much of him :( :(
Oh well, I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
I would soo love to see him play You Weren't In Love With Me....when he did it on Adam Hills show I nearly cried, he sang it with such emotion!

Lisa
Sweet Devotion

#6 Post by Lisa » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for the review, pics and videos Murf :D . Glad you had such a great seat and an extra bonus that the person in front didn't turn up ( :? ). The video sound quality was excellent. Who sang the original of You Weren't In Love With Me :?: I don't think know that one.
I would have been excited too if Bernard F had joined Pete on stage :P . I really like BF's music too and have pre-ordered his new CD.
murfinator wrote:And I just realised it's been a really long time since i've used that photobucket account! There's photos on there from the first time I saw Pete back in 2005. Plus other stuff that I must have put on there for the other forum! ah good times! and I think someone must have started a thread over there about pictures of their Pete collections cause I've got a picture of everything all laid out on the floor haha!
Haha I remember doing that too. I think I used mine as a signature for a while. I have no idea where the photo is now :(.

Alison d
Sweet Devotion

#7 Post by Alison d » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:09 am

Hi Murfinator,
Thanks for writing about how the Pete gig was that you went to :D
You painted a great picture of what the gig was like.
Pete tricked us too with the whole Bernard being there thing too(At the Bateau gig),but I didnt write it on FB or here as I didn't want to spoil Pete's fun by ppl not being surprised by it.The tour is all but over now,so ppl can find out now,it doesn't matter.It was very funny.I'm a powderfinger fan and screamed when i thought Bernard was there :oops: :lol:
The ppl who talk during question time and when Pete is telling song stories are just so rude.I think Pete has way more tolerance for rude ppl than i do,cause if it was me, not sure if i could be so patient to them.Them talking Spoils it for the real fans trying to hear.I remember years ago Missy Higgins had to have words to ppl in the audience who were just there to make noise and hook up :x
Glad you liked Nathan too,he's just soooo talented.At the Bateau gig,he knew the four songs called out to him to do.I yelled out,Better be home soon and The proclaimers 500 miles,someone else yelled out Metallica's Enter Sandman and the 4th one dont remember :oops: .He has such a good mind to remember the lyrics to so many songs and then apply them so quicky :o
Dave, Pete's bass player is very cool too with his cheeky grin and killer basslines.8-)Thanks for posting the pics on here too of your night :D Your view without the person in front was very good indeed.
About The pic of the guitarist Matt next to Nathan......I'm sure I recognise him ,but not from the times i have seen Thirsty Merc.I think i saw him at the Central coast Country music festival back in march,playing with a band :D Faces really stick in my mind.
I Love Pete's cover of the Billy Field 80's hit, 'You weren't in love with me'( Lisa....Billy Field is an Aussie who had a few hits here in the 80's,he lives about 30 mins from me these days).......You were so lucky to hear that live,Murf. :D did the crowd sing along to it?The older ones would have,I'm guessing :?: :D
Did Pete forget any words at this show?
Too bad you didn't get to meet Pete again :cry: He doesn't meet fans much anymore.
Thanks again Murfinator :D
Last edited by Alison d on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

murfinator
Sweet Devotion

#8 Post by murfinator » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:55 am

I can't quite remember what Pete said about the new album but it wasn't all that much information anyway.

Yeah his cover was so good! I didn't record it because my phone got too full and I couldn't record any more videos and I didn't want to be distracted by deleting stuff haha. But yep the crowd all sung along, especially the oldies! Lisa - Billy Field sang it originally in the 80s - here's a video of Pete singing it on the Adam Hills show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq2JBgCwuvw

Yeah Pete said he'd tricked everyone with the Bernard thing and asked if anyone had known about it already but no-one did.

Alison - Yeah I felt like telling everyone to shut up on numerous occasions! Pete & Co were awesome, but i've been to better gigs in terms of the crowd! It was just basically loud drunk bogans everywhere! :x Nah Pete didn't forget anything this time, they had to start again for a song cause of Nathan stuffing up tho haha!

When I saw Pete in Brisbane last year he came out and signed for everyone and i've noticed some posts on facebook that mention that he has come out a few times on this tour - guess it just depends on his mood! I just really want a photo! haha i've seen him 5 times, met him twice and haven't got a photo with him. It's my goal in life hahaha! :lol:

Alison d
Sweet Devotion

#9 Post by Alison d » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:11 am

Pete was very emotional when he sang the Billy Field cover on The Adam Hills show.I remember being a bit teary when seeing it too :cry:
I can understand you being upset about not having a photo taken.Dont give up...next tour Murfinator :D Pete seemed to come out more at te beginning of the tour,but from what I hear It just got too draining for him,being 44 dates and all.
Glad the rest of your night was good despite some ppl spoiling it for the real fans like yourself.
Thanks again for posting :D

Amba
Sweet Devotion

#10 Post by Amba » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Murf I can't understand why people just talk through Petes gigs! We had a guy who kept on screaming to Pete that he loved him. A girl infront of of him said "Yes we all do that's why we're here" which was a good comeback :) . Pete was so polite and handled it well! Also I think what really got to me about Pete singing that song on Adam Hills was what was going on in his personal life at the time, it just seemed so poignant!